Monday, May 5, 2008

Iron Man

[Released 5/2/2008, Rated PG-13]

Adam's Rating: ****1/2
Brandon's Rating: 10/10
Ashley's Rating:

Adam's Review:

This movie was *fantastic*. I loved almost everything about it. The special effects were top-notch, the story line was beautiful, the acting (mostly) superb. The writing, directing, cinematography, etc., etc., etc. were all awesome. I'm not one to give out very many perfect 5 stars - to me, a movie has to be literally perfect to earn that - so this one got 4.5

So what wasn't perfect? A few of the lines in the last 15 minutes. Namely, Pepper's (roughly) "What is that? Some sort of device? Is that going to open the door?", and Obidiah's "I've made a few upgrades myself" (made me think of some awful combination of Transformers and Power Rangers).

On the other hand, there were a great many awesome lines, including Rhodes' "Next time baby", which of course hints at some things for the next film (Avengers). The final line (and attendant music) was perfect. It made me think of Alvin and the Chipmunks - the final "Aaaalvin" line which was so poorly delivered - only this iconic line worked, and worked well. Very well. I guess that's the difference a good actor can make.

The nonlinear beginning to this film was fantastic. The action sequence kicked the film off with a bang, grabbing the viewer's interest, but it also made us view the following / pre-dated sequence in a different light ... some metaphor about in the shadow of the foreshadow is trying to come in to my head but not quite working ...

Reccomendation - I've seen and loved this movie twice already. See this in theatres! And don't wait for the dollar movie! See it now!!! Then see it in the dollar movie! Then buy it!!! Many girls won't like this film, because of the heavy action and the emotionally gruesome scenes during Tony Spark's captivity. But there is an intruiging romance to keep those girls interested who can put up with the intense action scenes.

Brandon's Review:

After the successes of Spider Man and X-men it felt like all of the producers desperately grabbed every comic book story that they could get their hands on, good or bad. Although Iron Man wasn't my favorite comic book to read while growing up, I think that it is a great movie.
The movie was very well rounded, there isn't anything bad that I can really say about it. The action sequences were great, special effect superb, comedy witty, and storyline well written. I thought that they did a great job of keeping it from being too cheesy, which is quite a feat for converting a comic book and Robert Downey Jr. was definitely a good move on casting. Changing the old version of Iron Man and placing the story in todays era (War in Iraq) worked out well. Since I can't really think of anything bad to say about it and would rather everyone go see the movie, I'll end by tipping my hat to everyone who worked on creating this film.

Reccomendation -A definite must see in a good theatre, take an extra ten minutes to insure that you have a good seat too, it's worth it. Even if you aren't big into comic books or action movies, it has enough humor and story to keep most entertained. Check other sources if you are worried about content for the young teenagers, but I found it to be very light on blood and sex in comparison to most content out there.

Ashley's Review:



Reccomendation -

No comments: